Been coughing for 3 weeks or getting out of breath easily?
Did you know that having a cough for more than three weeks or getting out of breath doing things you used to be able to do, such as vacuuming could be signs of lung disease, heart disease or even cancer?
Our current Be Clear on Cancer campaign encourages people to go to their doctor if they experience any of the above symptoms. The chances are it’s nothing serious, but if it is cancer, finding it early makes it more treatable. So don’t ignore it, tell your doctor.
Signs to watch out for
A cough that lasts three weeks or more is a key symptom of lung disease, including lung cancer, but other symptoms include:
- a cough that has got worse or changes
- frequent chest infections
- coughing up blood
- chest or shoulder pain
- Getting out of breath doing everyday activities such as light housework
- feeling more tired than usual for some time
- losing weight for no obvious reason, or loss of appetite
In Wiltshire in 2014/15:
- 8,042 people had chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
- 15,893 people had coronary heart disease
- 285 people (175 men and 110 women) had lung cancer
- 202 people (121 men and 81 women) died from lung cancer