Non-Emergency Patient Transport Service (NEPTS)
From 1 June 2019 the non-emergency patient transport service for patients in Wiltshire is provided by E-zec Medical Transport Services.
Patients who wish to be considered for the service are required to be assessed by the Patient Transport Advice Centre against national eligibility criteria.
Non-emergency patient transport is available if:
- Your medical condition means that you cannot use other forms of transport without it being detrimental to your health
- Your mobility means that you would be unable to access any other healthcare by other means
- You need the skills or support of patient transport staff before/on/after the journey.
More information is available on the BGSW non-emergency patient transport service website.
Contacting the Patient Transport Advice Centre
Key Performance Indicators
The non-emergency patient transport service operates to performance standards called Key Performance Indicators that have been set by the CCG. These include:
- the maximum time you should expect your journey to take, depending on the distance to travel
- your arrival at hospital to be within the hour before your booked arrival time/appointment time
- pick-up from hospital to take you home, within one hour and 15 minutes of booked time (if your journey was pre-booked at least the day before the day of travel) – one hour for dialysis patients
- pick-up from hospital to take you home, within 4 hours of booked time (if your journey was not booked until the day of travel) – two hours for patients making the journey at end of life
Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme
If you have a low income and do not have a medical need for transport, you may be able to reclaim your travel costs through a national NHS scheme called the Healthcare Travel Costs Scheme. You can make a claim at the hospital at your appointment (provided you have the necessary paperwork) or you can make a postal claim up to three months after your appointment has taken place. This service is not related in any way to the NEPTS service.