PRESS RELEASE: Thursday, 15 January 2015
INTEGRATION OF BATH HOSPITALS
As the proposed acquisition of the Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases (RNHRD) – or ‘The Min,’ by the Royal United Hospitals Bath NHS Foundation Trust (RUH) moves closer, NHS Wiltshire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) Chairman, Dr Stephen Rowlands, comments:
“As one of the commissioners of RNHRD’s services, we are pleased that the acquisition is progressing as planned; there will be benefits to patients as well as to both hospitals.”
Wiltshire Clinical Commissioning Group commissions the healthcare services for almost half a million people within Wiltshire. This includes general and specialist hospital services in Bath, Salisbury and Swindon as well as a wide range of further hospital and community health related services throughout the county.
Dr Rowlands, continued, “The proposed acquisition will ensure continuity of the highly regarded specialist services which RNHRD provides. The RNHRD is renowned internationally for its rheumatology, pain and fatigue services. We are fully reassured that, moving forward, patient care will not only be maintained but enhanced, too.”
Wiltshire CCG will continue to work with RNHRD, RUH and neighbouring CCGs as the acquisition progresses, and is confident that there will be no disruption of service to patients.
The Board and Governors of both the RNHRD and RUH have formally approved the proposal. Subject to the approval of Monitor (the sector regulator for Health Services), the acquisition could take place early in 2015.
Sarah Tranter or Lynsey Thorp, Communications, NHS Wiltshire CCG.
T. 01380 736010
Notes for Editors:
- NHS Wiltshire Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) is the commissioner of health care services for the population of Wiltshire. The CCG is led by local GPs who have first-hand experience of what their patients need.
- The CCG consists of 58 GP member practices and works closely with local partners including Wiltshire Council, local NHS providers, patients and the public to manage existing NHS services and implement new services to ensure that high quality health and social care is delivered to the population as close to their home as possible. Further information can be found on the website www.wiltshireccg.nhs.uk
- The RNHRD NHS FT is a national specialist rehabilitation and rheumatology hospital based in Bath. Offering services to adults, children and young people, the trust has expertise in general and complex:
- Rheumatological conditions
- Chronic pain management including Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Fatigue Management (CFS/ME and cancer survivorship fatigue)
- The RNHRD has an excellent reputation for research both nationally and internationally. Research informs their treatment programmes and contributes to a better understanding of many of the conditions in which they specialise
- More information can be found online at www.ruh.nhs.uk/about/ and www.rnhrd.nhs.uk/about-us